Everything Bullpup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MDRX 308 Accuracy Testing

Go down

MDRX 308 Accuracy Testing Empty MDRX 308 Accuracy Testing

Post by odinforever2000 Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:43 am

Greetings Everyone,
I recently acquired a HxWrks suppressor and after providing some data for the MDRx 308 Characterization Report I thought I would try my hand again with a 308 conversion kit.
Nearly all of those groups/Ammo in the Characterization report were shot with a muzzle brake and not with a suppressor attached (As I see in DTs current stuff for the WLVRN and multiple magazine write ups)..
I figured I would Range Report with one on. FrozenIceman (hes another MDRX owner I work with for Data) already has a thread on the > MDRX 556 Range Report < if you want to go see his 10 shot groups.

I am aware that this does make the accuracy results harder to repeat for most folks and pushes this already expensive (soon to be forgotten weapon) into a category that requires an NFA device to replicate my results...
Which is why I did my original tests some in what became a Characterization report of the 308 MDRX and at the > MDRInfo Gallery < with a muzzle brake...

I was  hoping DT would do something about it...Which they did and are now offering an "Accuracy Upgrade kit" for the MDRX. Essentially, JB Welding the barrel block and screws (screws coming loose becomes a serious accuracy problem in this rifle) and the updated
gas piston used in the Gen 3 MDR (Aka WLVRN). Allegedly this can see up to a 30% increase in accuracy but, YMMV for the MDRX. Desert Tech has also acknowledged a Barrel Harmonics issue in the MDRX Most Likely referring to the Fullpower rifles and not the intermediate set ups(Those all shoot well, they just heavy for caliber).
This is also why the Barrel Block, Feedramp, Piston and Oprod connections were altered in the WLVRN, released at shot show this year.

Ive noticed that when I shoot the MDRX from bolt release, I can have 1 round grow the group (Usually that first round) to 2.5moa but have 4 rounds inside 0.75moa when doing my 5 shot groups at that time.
Happened a few times with 168gr Fed GmmK and even a > reloading recipe < I was testing next to the Keltec RFB.
I imagine this may have also been the reason for WILD changes in POI when changing match ammo (typically 168gr) types .
1 POI change with Match ammo was a 4 inchs in Windage, which effectively put that group off paper unless I was aiming at the 10 ring
(My aiming points are the 10 ring then and of the #7s on the target..More opportunities to group but sometimes is a messy targert)..

Rifle
MDRx 2020
DT Reflex Handguard
OEM 308 MDR FE Barrel W/MDRX Gen 3 gasblock and adjuster updates (Basically an MDR barrel and block)
Upgraded "Straight"  MDRX charging handles.
HXWrks 30cal Qd muzzle brake (Previously was the Cobalt Kinetics Variant of this mount)
Aero Precision Ultralight SPR mount @ 1.5"
Acme Machine 1-8x34 LPVO (Image has a Crimison Trace 3-9x50)
Covered Wood block at a rest for the front of the rifle.
>Need to add a rear bag for more stable shooting<

MDRX 308 Accuracy Testing CvlsbQV

Ammo Tested
@ 34.99 box   1.49moa average for (2) 10 shot groups*
MDRX 308 Accuracy Testing JboF4uJ
@ 39.99 box   2.48moa average for (2) 10 shot groups
MDRX 308 Accuracy Testing ZCkaS3E

*I have 1 "Yea, but..." as the great Paul Harrel says.
Shot #3 on the #2 target was a mistake by me..Without that mistake..That group is 1.2moa..But.I left it in so...
as that previously mentioned person also says:
"You be the judge"

I took the rifle out a second time with the same set up. Not a 10 shot group or 10 shot average..
But the suppressed 5 shot is 1.2moa..Unsuppressed 5 shot is 3.2moa..I forgot how much this thing kicks with no recoil reduction. So the group may be unusually large..Oh well.Not doing that again..

MDRX 308 Accuracy Testing XhN8cFr

168gr Hornady Black in the MDRX Suppressed 1.66 Moa Average.
MDRX 308 Accuracy Testing Z0fHfrQ

S&B Match 168gr in the MDRX Suppressed 1.76 moa Average.
Second group was 1.3..And I took more time on those shots..Oh well..
MDRX 308 Accuracy Testing CMV19of

Last edited by odinforever2000 on Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed wording of title)
odinforever2000
odinforever2000

Back to top Go down