Everything Bullpup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes, logically bullpups are harder to shoot accurately

2 posters

Go down

Yes, logically bullpups are harder to shoot accurately Empty Yes, logically bullpups are harder to shoot accurately

Post by IdahoJOAT Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:58 am

It was brought up by a user on Reddit, and I went and diagramed it out a little bit for all of us to see.

The key bit to understand is, as far as I can tell, is that because the barrel starts behind the shooting hand, it messes with the ease of lining everything up in the way we're used to it.

Anyone have anymore explanation or thoughts on it?
Yes, logically bullpups are harder to shoot accurately Accura10
Yes, logically bullpups are harder to shoot accurately Accura11
IdahoJOAT
IdahoJOAT

Back to top Go down

Yes, logically bullpups are harder to shoot accurately Empty Re: Yes, logically bullpups are harder to shoot accurately

Post by odinforever2000 Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:00 am

Depends on where we are saying "harder to shoot."
For off hand shooting,bullpups are easier to shoot simply because the weight is either over or behind the pistol grip. This also makes 1 handed shooting easier.

From a bench? Little different.

Rifles like the Aug and Tavor Sar have little or no flat surface to rest the front end on say a shooting block.A front bag helps but then you run the risk of resting on the barrel and messing up your shots.
Also, full-size magazines (sometimes) can be a hinderance for prone shooting. Having a 20 or 10 rounder in the range bag eliminates this issue.

If you have enough top railspace,use an over barrel bipod and rear bag for flat range/bench shooting.
OR..On the Tavors, get the Fab defense Podium (grip mounted Bipod.)

Last edited by odinforever2000 on Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
odinforever2000
odinforever2000

Back to top Go down

Yes, logically bullpups are harder to shoot accurately Empty Re: Yes, logically bullpups are harder to shoot accurately

Post by IdahoJOAT Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:19 pm

odinforever2000 wrote:Depends on where we are saying "harder to shoot."
For off hand shooting,bullpups are easier to shoot simply because the weight is either over or behind the pistol grip. This also makes 1 handed shooting easier.

Rifles like the Aug and Tavor Sar have little or no flat surface to rest the front end on say a shooting block.A front bag helps but then you run the risk of resting on the barrel and messing up your shots.
Also, full-size magazines (sometimes) can be a hinderance for prone shooting. Having a 20 or 10 rounder in the range bag eliminates this issue.

If you have enough top railspace,use an over barrel bipod and rear bag for flat range/bench shooting.

I see what you're saying, I was just illustrating that generally on an AR the kinda, pivot point and what people are used to is different. And I wonder if that difference and smaller margin for error is what makes people shoot less accurately with a bullpup.
IdahoJOAT
IdahoJOAT

Back to top Go down

Post by odinforever2000 Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:29 am

IdahoJOAT wrote:

I see what you're saying, I was just illustrating that generally on an AR the kinda, pivot point and what people are used to is different. And I wonder if that difference and smaller margin for error is what makes people shoot less accurately with a bullpup.

I guess for me it depends on what you mean by more or less accurate..I have (2) 223 bullpups that I shoot as accurate or more accurately than my AR15.
odinforever2000
odinforever2000

IdahoJOAT likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IdahoJOAT Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:29 am

odinforever2000 wrote:
IdahoJOAT wrote:

I guess for me it depends on what you mean by more or less accurate..I have (2) 223 bullpups that I shoot as accurate or more accurately than my AR15.

I haven't gotten to shoot my Tavor yet, but I was generally saying that most get used to an AR and the adjustments one has to make to be accurate(hands, shoulder, sight picture, etc).

Most who then shoot a bullpup say it's less accurate. Even attempt to prove it. But I'm curious if the changes in the weapon system means they can't aim/shoot the same way.
IdahoJOAT
IdahoJOAT

odinforever2000 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by odinforever2000 Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:16 am

The fundamentals don't change as you mention.
"Most get used to an AR" is also an assumption most..Im pretty sure you mean The American serviceman.
Were also making an assumption on accuracy, what a rifle should be capable of and what that means to different people (trust me its not the same)
I started out on an learning Egyptian AKM I didn't have an AR15 until about 5 years ago.

Those folks who attempt to prove the accuracy difference typically only prove that the ammo they chose is not particularly a accurate combo with the bullpup selected. My favorite are the folks who automatically gravitate towards 77gr loads simply because a rifle is a 1:7 twist.

In my shooting there's not enough of a difference in accuracy between a modern (typically piston driven) bullpup and a basic (DI)AR15. Both can shoot to just under moa to 1.5 with the ammunition it likes.
My Stag Arms AR15 and Keltec RDB17 are both 1:9 twist rifles with a similar barrel length (16 vs 17").
I can shoot 10 shot groups that are hovering around 1.2moa(AR15) or 1.3moa (RDB) with 50gr Fiocchi @ 100 yards from a bench with anywhere from a 3x to and 8x optic (Notice I gave you alot of qualifying information). However this was before I learned (literally last month) about how to use a rear bag (never used them before).. So this weekend I will again shoot these rifles side by side and see how much that shrinks the 0.1moa difference I have between them.

Currently on the Youtubes Polenar Tactical and BlokeOnTheRange have issued a challenge for folks to video and shoot their preferred rifle for an "MOA All Day" challenge. Mostly because of guys on forums/Facebook/Reddit claiming their rifles can shoot MOA all day (Usually an AR Guy with alot of mods to their rifle..or a FUDD) vs Rifle they claim is crap (Usually a bullpup they dont like).
So far the only guys who have hit MOA are guys who have found the right (Factory) ammo combo that groups really well in their rifle.The current smallest groups are hovering around 0.6moa but thats a bolt gun with handloads.
odinforever2000
odinforever2000

IdahoJOAT likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IdahoJOAT Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:37 am

odinforever2000 wrote:The fundamentals don't change as you mention.
"Most get used to an AR" is also an assumption most..Im pretty sure you mean The American serviceman.
Were also making an assumption on accuracy, what a rifle should be capable of and what that means to different people (trust me its not the same)
I started out on an learning Egyptian AKM I didn't have an AR15 until about 5 years ago.

Those folks who attempt to prove the accuracy difference typically only prove that the ammo they chose is not particularly a accurate combo with the bullpup selected. My favorite are the folks who automatically gravitate towards 77gr loads simply because a rifle is a 1:7 twist.

In my shooting there's not enough of a difference in accuracy between a modern (typically piston driven) bullpup and a basic (DI)AR15. Both can shoot to just under moa to 1.5 with the ammunition it likes.
My Stag Arms AR15 and Keltec RDB17 are both 1:9 twist rifles with a similar barrel length (16 vs 17").
I can shoot 10 shot groups that are hovering around 1.2moa(AR15) or 1.3moa (RDB) with 50gr Fiocchi @ 100 yards from a bench with anywhere from a 3x to and 8x optic (Notice I gave you alot of qualifying information). However this was before I learned (literally last month) about how to use a rear bag (never used them before).. So this weekend I will again shoot these rifles side by side and see how much that shrinks the 0.1moa difference I have between them.

Currently on the Youtubes Polenar Tactical and BlokeOnTheRange have issued a challenge for folks to video and shoot their preferred rifle for an "MOA All Day" challenge. Mostly because of guys on forums/Facebook/Reddit claiming their rifles can shoot MOA all day (Usually an AR Guy with alot of mods to their rifle..or a FUDD) vs Rifle they claim is crap (Usually a bullpup they dont like).
So far the only guys who have hit MOA are guys who have found the right (Factory) ammo combo that groups really well in their rifle.The current smallest groups are hovering around 0.6moa but thats a bolt gun with handloads.

That is fascinating.

I'm salivating to get home and shoot my x95.
IdahoJOAT
IdahoJOAT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum